Assisting Clients Across California Since 1993

What if my employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance?

Folsom may be strongly associated with Johnny Cash and Folsom State Prison, but there is so much more to life in our city. We have a highly rated school district, major industries and so many outdoor activities. We live in a truly blessed area of the country. However, no matter what line of work you are in, no Folsom resident wants an injury while on the job. Worse yet, what if your employer does not carry the legally required workers’ compensation insurance?

Does California have any safety nets for this?

If you are injured on the job, you face anxieties about all aspects of your life. How will you cover the cost of living and the potential implications of missed work? How will this affect your future or your children?

All employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance in California. However, that does not guarantee your employer will follow the law. California has special funds in place for this scenario: the Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund.

How do I apply for benefits from the UEBTF?

The UEBTF exists to pay workers’ compensation claims in the case your employer is illegally going without the required insurance. The UEBTF requires that you file a claim to receive the workers’ comp benefits, with a form called the Division of Workers’ Compensation-1. The application process may be complicated for some, and especially if you are facing injuries, disability and financial pressure.

You do not have to approach filing a claim with the UEBTF alone. It is not your fault if your employer broke the law. You may have other claims you can make against your employer, and an attorney well versed in employment law can discuss your specific circumstances. You deserve time to heal and focus on your path for the future.